Sunday, January 31, 2010

Twins Thoughts

I haven't posted anything in a while, and that will probably continue to be true until the season starts, but I figured I'd weigh in on a few things.

--Signing Jim Thome isn't a bad move, especially for the low cost of $1.5 million plus incentives, but it just doesn't sit well with me. Trading Carlos Gomez was supposed to eliminate the glut of outfielders the Twins had, and allow everyone consistent playing time; now, however, they're right back where they started, with 5 players for four spots (outfield plus DH). I know many people are glad that this may mean less playing time for Delmon Young, but I'm not. He's been horrible for the last two seasons, there's no doubt about that, but I was hoping this would finally be the season where he could play full-time and the Twins would be able to decide whether or not he could live up to any of his potential.

--Signing Clay Condrey makes even less sense to me. With a bullpen already packed with solid relievers, I don't see why you'd pay extra money for a guy who could very well be replaced by one of the options in Rochester. The Twins already have Joe Nathan, Matt Guerrier, Jesse Crain, Jose Mijares, Jon Rauch, possibly Pat Neshek, and two of Francisco Liriano, Brian Duensing, and Glen Perkins. That's eight relievers in addition Condrey, meaning two of those guys won't be starting the season in Minnesota.

--Orlando Cabrera signed with the Reds, thankfully officially ending any possibility that he'll be back in Minnesota.

1 comment:

  1. Have you heard about the rumors that the twins are signing a 10 year deal with Mauer? Of course they are rumors, but it wouldn't it be cool if Mauer was one of those guys that stayed with the same city for his whole career? I think so.

    ReplyDelete

Let us hear your thoughts!